Friday, April 2, 2010

April 2nd, Good Friday

Isaiah 52: 13 -- 53: 12, Psalm 31: 2, 6, 12-13, 15-16, 17, 25, Hebrews 4: 14-16; 5: 7-9, John 18: 1 -- 19: 42

I hesitated initially when I discovered I had the reflection for Good Friday. Was I really expected to write about the Night of the Lord’s Passion and Death? What insight could I possibly share about the most holy day in Christianity? So, I did nothing. The reflection gathered dust, and I put off thinking about it, until I realized something: we understand what Christ did for us on Calvary, but do we take the time to think of how He went about doing it? That “how” is on what I would like to focus.

The message of Good Friday to me is one of humility. Christ lowered Himself for us. He bled for us. And He asked for nothing in return. He did not make sure He would be glorified by His actions. The words of Isaiah speak that message best: “ Yet it was in our infirmities that he bore, our sufferings that he endured, while we thought of him as stricken, as one smitten by God and afflicted…. Though he was harshly treated, he submitted and opened not his mouth.” The crucifixion of Christ was not a vain action by any means. And as we realize that, we realize something about ourselves.

How often can we say that society does not play a major role in our decisions? I am swayed by the ideals of the majority more than I care to think. We look at Christ, the lowly Shepherd, the suffering servant, and we look at the face of utter humility. Can we honestly say we aim for that humility in our lives? Are we willing to change for it? Can we drown out the opinions of society and make our decisions based on the teachings and sacrifice of Christ? As we near the end of another Lenten season, we all, myself included, need to ask that of ourselves. We see Christ willingly and silently crushed by our sins, but will we change for it?

Jack Nuelle, junior at Saint Viator High School.

No comments: